Our museum houses the collection of Mr. Frank Kidd, a lifetime collector. The beginnings of his collection was in the field of vehicular toys, an interest fostered by his family's automotive parts business. The museum today is intermingled with that business.
Since those earlier days, his interests have expanded to include toys of all kinds: mechanical and still banks; trains, planes and automobiles; character toys; police badges; railroad locks, lanterns and related items; and early Oregon memorabilia of all kinds. His collection has been supplemented by the collection his wife, Joyce, who collects teddy bears and dolls, and holiday collectibles.
Today, the collection consists mainly of toys from the period encompassing 1869 to 1939, but includes a generous display of later die-cast vehicles. For local interest, banks, signs, trays, and other items pertaining to the Northwest are included.
The heart of Mr. Kidd's collection are his mechanical banks, one of the finest in existence. You will see several patent office models, wooden, lead and brass patterns for banks and other toys; and selections of original sand-casting molds for the toys. A serious effort has been made to obtain, and display, some of the finest examples of the various categories.